Former U.S. Open champion Marin Cilic became the first man into the quarter-finals of the Australian Open when he ground down Spaniard Pablo Carreno Busta 6-7(2) 6-3 7-6(0) 7-6(3) on Sunday.In an entertaining baseline duel at the Margaret Court Arena, sixth seed Cilic blew away Carreno Busta in the tiebreaks to celebrate his 100th grand slam win.A former semi-finalist at Melbourne Park, Cilic also equalled Goran Ivanisevic’s Croatian record of 11 grand slam quarter-final appearances.Carreno Busta showed heart to rally from a break down in the fourth set and push the match into a third tiebreak but was quickly overwhelmed by Cilic’s firepower as the Croatian brought up four match points in a hurry.Cilic blew one of them by spraying a crosscourt shot wide but made no mistake on the second, hammering a huge first serve down the ‘T’ and picking off the return with a straightforward forehand winner, bringing raucous cheers from the large Croatian contingent in the terraces.The 2014 U.S. Open champion Cilic will meet either last year’s finalist Rafa Nadal or Argentine Diego Schwartzman for a place in the semi-finals.“It was an unbelievable match, a lot of ups and downs,” Cilic said in his on-court interview.“Pablo came back and really gave me a lot of trouble … We had a lot of tough rallies so I was really glad how I stayed in there mentally.”
NLEX makes ‘little improvement’ on mental toughness Presidency bid needs ‘deep reflection’ – Sara Duterte Marcos monument beside Aquino’s stirs Tarlac town LATEST STORIES Phoenix actually made life difficult for San Miguel after trailing by just one point, 24-23, at the end of the first quarter.READ: San Miguel extinguishes Phoenix for 2nd straight winFEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSBreak new groundSPORTSMcGregor blasts Cerrone in 40 seconds in UFC return“I think we tend to relax at the start of the game, so we have to remove that attitude,” said Fajardo, who had 22 points and eight rebounds. “We have to play hard the moment we step on the court.”San Miguel found its offensive groove in the second quarter when it went on a 15-0 run to establish a 39-25 lead and break the game wide open . MOST READ Canadian military mobilized to help Newfoundland dig out Palace: Crisis over ABC-CBN franchise unlikely “We have to play hard even in the first quarter. Good thing we were able to get out offense in the second quarter,” said Fajardo. View comments Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks PLAY LIST 01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite Panelo: Duterte only wants to emulate strong political will of Marcos Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Ai-Ai delas Alas on Jiro Manio: ‘Sana pinahalagahan niya ang naitulong ko’ SpaceX launches, destroys rocket in astronaut escape test Dozens wounded as Iraqi protesters up pressure on government On the edge of America, census begins in a tiny Alaska town Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. June Mar Fajardo vs Phoenix import Jameel McKay. PBA IMAGESReigning three-time MVP June Mar Fajardo said San Miguel should stop falling into habit of starting games slow and needing to pick up speed in the later quarters.The Beermen improved their PBA Commissioner’s Cup record to 2-0 with a 110-88 demolishing of Phoenix but not before struggling to shake off the Fuel Masters early.ADVERTISEMENT
– genuine display of unityBy Indrawattie NatramEven today, I get really anxious whenever I hear the masquerade drums through the streets or even from a distance. The sounds emanating are uniquely upbeat and evokes childhood memories. I can vividly recall my first encounter with a masquerade band when I hid under my bed, waiting for my mother to tell me when the band passed. I could remember having scary nights after the “facey vampire” pulled me out from under the bed. The sweat ran though my spine and tears cascaded from my eyes, yes I still remember those good olden days and am sure many other Essequibians share the same memories like I do. I am sure they will also agree with me that a Christmas without the “mad cow” is definitelyA masequarade band with “bam bam sally”incomplete.Although the tradition is not as alive as previous years, the memories of the horrific mad cow’s experiences still live amongst us. My attraction to the boom-boom sally was also vivid; a man in a dress with a protruded butt, his antics something to behold.Today when I see a masquerade band, I am still mesmerised by their presence. I am also happy that the culture has remained strong, particularly during this season of Christmas. I was also happy to see children from various communities moving around, keeping the masquerade feelings alive.Drummers surely make masequarade aliveGrowing up in the country, older boys become part of a masquerade band in every Village, while individual groups do not only play for fun in keeping with the festive Christmas season, many capitalise on the incentives garnered from performing.The masquerade band could be dated as far back as the 18th Century. In fact, it was originally practised by slaves; the jollification after hard work. This practice transcends generations.However on the Essequibo Coast, a multicultural Region, masquerade celebrations are common in villages such as Henrietta, Danielstown, Dartmouth, Onderneeming, Queenstown, Charity and Supenaam.It’s definitely a scene to behold, men (old and young) take pride in creating their costumes weeks before the season commences, and even young boys would be seen moving from house to house with their “mad cow” seeking monetaryFlouncers having funincentives for their efforts.Masquerade has certainly become part and parcel of the Christmas season and more and more persons are enjoying the tradition, joining the bands passing through the streets. Christmas in Essequibo is nothing without masquerades.
OWNER: James Clack ESTABLISHED: 2006 NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES: One DESCRIBE YOUR BUSINESS: My business offers friendly and professional computer- and network-repair and installation services for residents and business owners in Los Angeles and Ventura counties. IS THIS YOUR FIRST BUSINESS? Yes BUSINESS NAME: Jimboscomp.com BUSINESS ADDRESS: 8631 Lurline Ave., Winnetka, CA 91306 PHONE: (818) 312-0247 WEB SITE: www.jimboscomp.com WHY DID YOU START THIS BUSINESS? I’ve always enjoyed helping others with problems, and I thought starting a business doing what I do best and helping people at the same time would be the best choice of a career. WHERE DID YOU GET THE IDEA? Back when I was still learning computers, everyone called me “Jimbo,” and one day, as I was thinking of a business name, “Jimbo’s Computers,” or “Jimbo’s Comp” for short, sounded best. Ever since then, my goal was to start a computer-repair business based on that name. HOW LONG WAS IT FROM CONCEPT TO OPENING? About four years. WHAT DID YOU DO DURING THAT TIME? I did schooling, and I also worked for a Web site hosting company as a network and server technician. WHAT WERE YOUR STARTUP COSTS, AND HOW DID YOU FINANCE THE BUSINESS? About $2,000 for the right tools for computer repair. I financed it from money I had saved working at my other job, and also doing computer repair for friends and others my friends knew. WHOM DID YOU RELY ON FOR ADVICE? Others who ran successful businesses, and then combined it with advice from other technicians I trained under. I wanted to combine the best customer service with the best computer knowledge to best serve people. WHAT HADN’T YOU CONSIDERED BEFORE OPENING? How much advertisement might cost to get my name out to my target market. WHAT IS YOUR EXPECTED REVENUE THIS YEAR? $55,000. WHAT GOALS DO YOU HAVE FOR THE COMPANY? At the moment, I’m working on the goal of getting my name out to all of Los Angeles, letting people know of my services. After the business grows, I plan to hire more technicians to serve more of the population in other areas of Southern California and eventually work my way through the rest of the United States.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
DDTV: Watch a short video showing some of the lightning over Gaoth Dobhair last night during the storm. Footage by John Barr for Donegal Daily.Press Play to watch: DDTV: FOOTAGE OF LIGHTNING STORM OVER GAOTH DOBHAIR was last modified: August 2nd, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DDTV: FOOTAGE OF LIGHTNING STORM OVER GAOTH DOBHAIR
Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has personally intervened to help ensure Christian Eriksen signs a new contract with the club.Eriksen and his agent had been locked in talks with Spurs since March but a breakthrough has finally been made.The Dane is close to signing a new four-year deal at White Hart Lane, worth around £70,000 a week, which will keep him at Tottenham until 2020 and extend his current commitment by two years.It is understood negotiations were accelerated by Pochettino, who stepped in after growing concerned the issue was becoming a distraction for his player.Eriksen has been out of sorts so far this season and was particularly poor against Crystal Palace two weeks ago when Pochettino substituted him in the second half.The midfielder had always been keen to stay at Tottenham, having pinned his hopes on playing in the Champions League. He bought a new house in London this summer and his girlfriend has recently started working in the capital.The 24-year-old, however, rejected Spurs’ first offer of fresh terms, which came significantly below the club’s top earners.Eriksen currently earns around £35,000 a week while Hugo Lloris, Erik Lamela and Mousa Dembele are all paid around double that amount.Lloris, Pochettino’s captain and goalkeeper, is believed to earn around £80,000 a week.Negotiations remained cordial throughout the summer but they had reached a stalemate last month, before Pochettino persuaded both sides they needed to come to a resolution.While the basic terms have now been agreed, the formalities of the deal are still to be ironed out and an announcement is unlikely to come during the international break.Pochettino’s intervention is another show of his increasing influence in off-field matters at Tottenham.The 44-year-old was made ‘manager’, rather than ‘head coach’, after signing a new five-year contract at the end of last season. 1 Christian Eriksen is close to signing a new deal with Spurs
1 Paulinho or Verratti It has long been thought that Marco Verratti is the heir to Andres Iniesta in the Barcelona midfield.Naturally, Paris Saint-Germain are keen to keep the Italian in an effort to challenge for the Champions League and have signed Dani Alves to boost the squad.“I came here to play with Marco Verratti, that’s the message I want him to get. I hope he can help us win the Champions League,” Alves said during his first press conference as a PSG player.However, if Barca are unable to prise him away from Paris Saint-Germain then another option is Paulinho, according to reports.Yes, the former Tottenham midfielder who is now playing in China at Guangzhou Evergrande is being linked with a move to the Camp Nou.If you were in charge of Barcelona then who would you rather sign?
“We didn’t have our best first half admittedly, but I felt second half we brought more energy to the game and did enough to win.”Scotland now turn their attention to the Six Nations opener against Italy in February. Scotland have now won 11 of their last 13 matches at Murrayfield.Head coach Gregor Townsend said he was impressed by his team’s ability to grind out a win after being tested by the South Americans.Townsend said: “I am impressed the team found a way to win.“We were tested today. Argentina kept the ball for a lot of phases and they played well. The conditions meant it wasn’t going to be a game won off passing the ball wide. Scotland ended the Autumn Test series on a high by beating Argentina 14-9 at Murrayfield.Sean Maitland scored the only try of the game in the second half, while nine points from the boot of skipper Greig Laidlaw earned the Scots victory over the Pumas. Argentina were left to rue chances spurned after missing four kicks and passing up scoring opportunities.The crucial moment in the contest came when Stuart Hogg found Maitland and the Saracens star burst through to touchdown.
An investigation has been launched after a garda car was rammed into in Carrigart this morning.The incident occurred in the early hours of Tuesday morning (28th August) when Gardaí from Milford were on routine patrol in an unmarked vehicle.Gardaí say a black Volkswagen Passat bearing partial registration number 02-MH rammed into the unmarked car several times. Significant damage was caused to the car and two Gardaí were injured, but did not require hospital treatment.Unmarked Garda car damaged in incident near Carrigart. Photo via Donegal GardaíThe offending vehicle fled the scene. Gardaí are now seeking the assistance from the public in Carrigart and the greater area.Anyone who has any information is asked to contact Milford Garda Station on 074 9153060Gardaí have issued pictures of the damaged garda car to show the extent of the damage. Unmarked Garda car damaged in incident near Carrigart. Photo via Donegal GardaíUnmarked Garda car damaged in incident near Carrigart. Photo via Donegal GardaíTwo Gardaí injured in Carrigart ramming incident was last modified: August 30th, 2018 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
A 55-year-old bridge is on its way to being replaced in Jackson County as a result of a $1.4 million contract awarded by the N.C. Department of Transportation. The bridge is on Moses Creek Road over Caney Fork Creek, east of Cullowhee.The current bridge is considered functionally obsolete, meaning it was built to standards no longer used in bridge building. It also has weight restrictions, which limits the type of vehicles that can use it. The new bridge will not have those restraints.The project, awarded to Owle Construction of Wilson, can begin as early as July 31 with the new bridge open by September 30, 2018. Additional vegetation work can continue through March 2019.