And there was a brilliant third place in his Formula One debut for McLaren’s Kevin Magnussen, 21, who became the first Danish driver ever to reach the podium.McLaren’s Jenson Button and two-time world champion Fernando Alonso of Ferrari finished fourth and fifth, ahead of Williams’ Valtteri Bottas, Force India’s Nico Hulkenberg and Kimi Raikkonen in the second Ferrari.But there was no joy for Vettel, the four-time defending world champion, and Mercedes’ 2008 winner Hamilton, who both retired early as this year’s widespread mechanical changes took their toll.Formula One has switched to quieter, turbocharged 1.6-litre V6 engines this year with hybrid components that will help them to keep within a newly introduced fuel cap of 100 kilos (about 135 litres).At the start, Rosberg swept to the front from third off the grid and he safely held Ricciardo at bay by 24.5 seconds to give Mercedes the first win of the season.“I took off from the start like a Silver Arrow and after that the car was really quick today,” said Rosberg, whose father, Keke, won the 1982 world championship.“The whole team did such a good job on it. It was a really good engine, not much problem with fuel consumption and the reliability was great.“It was such a reward for all the team’s hard work to dominate in such a way in the first race of the season.”It was Rosberg’s fourth GP win and his first since Silverstone last year.But while Mercedes celebrated Rosberg’s win, they lost race favourite Hamilton on lap four lap due to a lack of power. Vettel went out shortly afterwards in his first retirement since last year’s British GP.Ricciardo replaced Mark Webber at Red Bull this year and achieved what his high-profile compatriot could not with a podium finish at his home GP, in his first drive with the world constructors champions.“If I look back to where we were three weeks ago this has definitely exceeded my expectations,” Ricciardo said.“We had never done a race distance up until today, so we didn’t have much confidence that we would see the chequered flag let alone finish in a podium position and we can make a lot of progress from here.”Denmark’s Magnussen also got on the podium in his first GP race for McLaren, who failed to finish in the top three all last season.“I just can’t believe it. It’s not a win but it definitely feels like it and the team has been coming off a difficult season and they’ve made this rookie feel really comfortable,” Magnussen said.Fourteen cars of the 22 finished the race, which had its hair-raising moments on the opening lap.Felipe Massa and Kamui Kobayashi came off together at the first bend and were out of the race, while Vettel was slowly away and struck trouble at the rear of the field.Stewards said they would be launching an investigation into the Massa-Kobayashi collision.The Mercedes team told Hamilton he needed to retire on the second lap, but quickly amended the message to “stay out” on the track.But Hamilton only lasted another lap before he came into the pits and his under-powered car was taken into the team garage with his race over.Vettel followed Hamilton out of the race, retiring on his fifth lap with mechanical problems.Finland’s Bottas scraped a wall and lost his right rear wheel on the 10th lap, bringing out the safety car. He limped back to the pits for new tyres and rejoined the race to go on and finish a creditable sixth.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000MELBOURNE, March 16- Nico Rosberg opened Formula One’s new era with a dominant victory at the Australian Grand Prix on Sunday as world champion Sebastian Vettel and pole-sitter Lewis Hamilton were early casualties.Rosberg, whose Mercedes team have come out strongest with the sport’s new hybrid technology, led from start to finish and took the chequered flag 24.5 seconds ahead of Australia’s Daniel Ricciardo in his Red Bull debut.
The stocky midfield star, who became the first Kenyan to score in the UEFA Champions League when he netted the first goal in his former Scottish club Celtic’s 2–1 stunning win over this season’s finalists Barcelona in 2012 said he is eying on making an impact in Europe once again.“It means a lot going back to European football because it’s been two years since I played there. I’m glad to be in it and hopefully we will do well in the qualifying rounds.“I did it at Celtic and it was great. It feels good to be back again this time with an English Premier League team. I’m looking forward to it,” Wanyama, who rediscovered his scoring touch under Koeman, netting three in the EPL, told.The Kenya captain will see his team enter the Europa League at the third qualifying round, needing to win two (two-legged) ties to qualify for the group stages.The midfield enforcer who was awarded by the club for his impressive performance said transition from former manager Mauricio Pochettino to Koeman had been smooth and everyone in the team is showing commitment as the Saints disproved naysayers.“We have a good relationship with the manager and always work as a team. The spirit in the team is great; everyone works hard to improve in every game so it’s great playing as a family.“The President’s award means a lot to me, we have been doing very well and everyone did well. I’m grateful to have received the award,” Wanyama who joined Southampton in 2013 on a Scottish transfer record of 12.5 million pounds stated.The younger brother of 2010 Champions League winner Macdonald Mariga, who was sidelined for two matches in January after limping off with a hamstring injury picked in their third round FA Cup 1-0 win at Ipswich, revealed the knock made him return stronger.“We play a lot of games and it’s always difficult to be injury free, sometimes you can be lucky but I was unlucky. I’m happy I’m fit again.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Victor Wanyama (left) in action against Swansea City in an EPL match. He’s eying a long Europa League run with the Saints.NAIROBI, June 5 – Harambee Stars captain Victor Wanyama is hopeful his English Premier League (EPL) side Southampton, will reach the group stages of the UEFA Europa League when the Saints return to European competition for the first time in 12 years next season.Wanyama, who saw his side handed qualification thanks to Arsenal’s 4-0 FA Cup demolition of Aston Villa, told Capital Sport the team under the tutelage of Dutchman Ronald Koeman has adapted to his philosophy and are aiming at improving their seventh finish in the EPL.
VANCOUVER, B.C. – BC Hydro issued a statement today to respond to a report on Wood Buffalo National Park and the effect Site C could have on the park.The report was done by the UNESCO World Heritage Centre (WHC) and the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) about its Reactive Monitoring Mission to Wood Buffalo National Park.BC Hydro says they were disappointed that the report did not have all of the facts.“We’re disappointed that the report chose to disregard evidence that found Site C will have no measurable effect on the Peace-Athabasca Delta (PAD), which is 1,100 kilometres away from the project. During the environmental assessment of Site C, BC Hydro commissioned studies from leading experts to evaluate the potential downstream effects of Site C. In all cases, the studies concluded that the project would have no notable effect on the PAD. An independent Joint Review Panel reviewed studies and submissions on downstream effects from BC Hydro, government agencies, Aboriginal groups and stakeholders. In addition, two days of public hearings were held on the topic.”Advertisement – Advertisement -The Joint Review Panel issued a report back in May of 2014 that stated: “The Panel concludes there would be no effects from the Project on any aspect of the environment in the Peace Athabasca Delta, and a cumulative effects assessment on the PAD is not required.”“It’s unfortunate that the WHC/IUCN report chose to ignore details about the federal-provincial environmental assessment process for Site C. By doing so, the report presents an incomplete picture of Site C and the PAD.”
Fianna Fáil has accused the Government of completely ignoring apprenticeship programmes over the past four years.Charlie McConalogue TDThey also claim that Education Minister Jan O’Sullivan is trying to win back support for her party by promising to extend the scheme to new sectors.New figures released to Fianna Fáil through Parliamentary Question reveal that the number of apprenticeships fell by 30% between 2010 and 2014. The party’s Education spokesperson Charlie McConalogue says these figures are a damning indictment of the scant attention given by this Government to the apprenticeship programme.“Successive Ministers have been shockingly slow to realise that an apprenticeship system is vital in dealing with Ireland’s acute long-term unemployment problem. However, it appears to have fallen off the Government agenda and has only resurfaced now that a General Election is on the horizon.“While Higher Education will continue to be the primary pathway for young people to skilled employment, it does not suit everyone and employers value vocational training. However this Government has failed to build on the programmes that have been offered to date and have allowed participation to fall off without introducing any changes to the existing programmes or expanding them until now. The demand from the technology and business sectors has not been fully utilised or valued and its role and contribution is not well understood by this government.”He added that while the proposal by the Apprenticeship Council to expand apprenticeship categories is welcome, the announcement is a drop in the ocean of what is required to deal with what is fast becoming Ireland’s largest economic problem. “Government, education providers and industry must work together to ensure these new apprenticeship areas are fast tracked immediately,” he said.GOVERNMENT IS COMPLETELY IGNORING APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAMMES – McCONALOGUE was last modified: August 2nd, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Charlie McConaloguedonegalfianna failTD
20 6. Arsenal 20 20 19. Swansea City (relegated) 20 12. West Ham United 5. Tottenham Hotspur (Europa League) 20 16. Sunderland 14. Watford 20 2. Liverpool (Champions League) 17. Crystal Palace 20 20 20 20 20. Hull City (relegated) – click the right arrow, above, to see the Super Computer’s predictions in full for the Premier League table… 10. Bournemouth 11. Stoke City 3. Manchester City (Champions League) 20 20 20 9. West Brom 4. Manchester United (Champions League play-off) 15. Burnley 20 8. Southampton 20 13. Leicester City 18. Middlesbrough (relegated) 20 20 7. Everton After a hectic festive period the Premier League title race is looking a little tighter than it had before.Chelsea were frontrunners but, after being beaten 2-0 by Tottenham Hotspur, the chasing pack have closed the gap, with Liverpool just five points behind them.At the bottom of the table, Hull City look in deep trouble as they appoint a new manager, while Swansea City are trying to fight back after beating fellow strugglers Crystal Palace in midweek.But how will the table look next May?At this stage, no one can say with any certainty, but the Super Computer has had a good go of predicting the final standings.Based on information available on January 5, 2016, take a look at how the Super Computer is predicting the 2016/17 Premier League table to finish, by clicking the right arrow, above.The table, of course, should be taken with a pinch of salt! Anything can happen over the next eight months, but it’s fun to speculate. 20 20 20 1. Chelsea (Champions)
THE Ulster Senior League representative squad head for Dublin this weekend to compete in the FAI Intermediate Inter-Provincial Tournament.The USL selection will again be under the stewardship of Anthony Gorman.Leinster are the hosts of the 2019 tournament with the teams vying to win the Michael Ward Trophy. The USL open their weekend with a game against Connacht at Westmanstown on Friday night before they take on Munster on Saturday at the same venue.The weekend closes for the USL with a clash against Leinster at Frank Cooke Park on Sunday morning.Munster are the defending champions after their winning of the tournament in Donegal last year.FixturesFriday, October 4, 7.45pmMunster Senior League v Leinster Senior League at PorterstownConnacht FA v Ulster Senior League at Westmanstown Advertisement Saturday, October 5, 2.30pmLeinster Senior League v Connacht FA at Red CowUlster Senior League v Munster Senior League at Westmanstown Sunday, October 6, 11amLeinster Senior League v Ulster Senior League at Frank Cooke ParkConnacht FA v Munster Senior League at BallymunUSL selection set for 2019 Intermediate Inter-Pros was last modified: September 30th, 2019 by Chris McNultyShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Scotland boss Steve Clarke has said that he has to make sure that the 4-0 defeat to Russia in Moscow is “the lowest of the low” and that results improve quickly.After a solid first half in the Luhzniki Stadium, the national team suffered a collapse that ended the slim chance of qualification for Euro 2020 via the group.A play-off place has already been secured but after losing five for seven qualifiers so far, the team finds itself in fifth place in the six-team qualifying group after another heavy defeat.Clarke said that the collapse against Russia was down to “fragile confidence” and said he would have to make changes to build for key games. “We conceded a soft goal,” he said. “The first goal is soft, from a corner. Man on man we have to do better. “From there we quickly found our way out the game. We allowed the game to run away from us. “I have to put it down to fragile confidence. The players seemed to lose heart very quickly, which is unfortunate because we had done OK up to that point.”“Hard work, maybe one or two different selections in terms of squad as well as starting 11. It’s something I have to look at. We can’t keep conceding goals. “You have to give a nod of your head to the quality of opposition we have faced recently in Belgium and Russia, two very good teams who I am sure will be involved in the latter stages of Euro 2020. “But for us it’s trying to make sure this is the very, very bottom of the lowest and then build from here and make sure come March we are able to be very, very competitive and get through the play-offs and give ourselves the chance to be in the same championships.”Despite a dismal start to his time as manager in terms of results, the former Kilmarnock boss said he had seen glimpses that the team could improve and adapt to what he was trying to do and he said that he believed everyone was committed and ready for the challenge of making progress.“I think in all the games we’ve played, there have been moments where you can see what we’re trying to do and where we’re trying to get to,” he said.“But obviously the results are dreadful, no getting away from that. I’m not going to hide behind that.“We have to do better, we have to work harder and we have to make sure we keep improving. We have to make sure this is the lowest of the low.“On the back of back-to-back 4-0 defeats, it feels difficult. But I was brought up the hard way so I’m in for the fight and I think the players are in for the fight too.”
By Hub City Times staffMARSHFIELD – The Spencer/Columbus Rockets are entering the playoffs as a No. 1 seed, and they played like it to end the regular season. The Rockets handled Altoona Oct. 12 by defeating the Railroaders 49-20.The Rockets put up 35 points in the first quarter and seven more in each of the following two quarters to grab a convincing Week 9 win, to end the regular season on a high note for Head Coach Jason Gorst.“We played very well on offense, defense and special teams very early in the game, and were able to jump out to that lead, and get a number of different kids in the ball game, and that’s always a good thing in week 9,” he said. “In the passing game, we were able to hit some pretty big passes and get a lot of yards early in the game. I was also pretty impressed with our downfield blocking which sprung a couple of plays, whether it was a lineman down there on a screen or another receiver breaking off his route to make a downfield block. We were able to score pretty quickly.”The Rockets opened up the scoring less than a minute into the game, when Austin Bacon scored on a two-yard touchdown run. Less than a minute after that, Bacon caught a 32-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Jarred Mandel. Carson Hildebrandt had a one-yard touchdown run with 7:01 left in the first. Four minutes later, Mandel connected with Hayden Bauman on a five-yard scoring strike. Mandel ran another score in from 16 yards out with just over a minute remaining in the first quarter.Bacon had his second touchdown of the night midway through the second quarter, when he scored from 12 yards out. Bauman had a 19-yard TD run with 8:01 left in the third quarter.Spencer/Columbus outgained Altoona 416-232 – 220 yards of that came through the pass game, combined with 196 yards on the ground. Hildebrandt led the Rockets with 69 yards rushing. Leo Rodriguez had seven carries for 50 yards. On the passing side, Mandel was 6-of-11 for 220 yards. Bacon hauled in three pass receptions for 108 yards. Eden Jacobson had one catch for 91 yards.The Spencer/Columbus defense was able to force four turnovers as well. Three of those were pass interceptions–two by Bauman and one by Mandel.The Rockets will host No. 8 Arcadia on Oct. 19 at Ted Fritsch Field in Spencer, in level one of the Division 5 WIAA playoffs. The winner will face either No. 4 Bloomer or No. 5 Spooner in level two.
A former Columbia police officer has pleaded guilty to drug charges.Gamal Castile was accused of selling steroids in 2016 and was then indicted in 2018 for drug distribution, drug possession and unlawful possession of a firearm.According to court records, Castile pleaded guilty to two felony counts of possession of a controlled substance. His sentencing is set for next month.
(AP) – The Supreme Court’s conservative majority seems prepared to allow the Trump administration to end a program that allows some immigrants to work legally in the United States and protects them from deportation.There did not appear to be any support among the five conservatives for the challengers to the administration’s decision to wind down the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. It currently protects an estimated 660,000 immigrants who came to the United States as children.Several justices indicated that the administration has provided a sufficient reason for wanting to do away with the program or that courts should not be reviewing the executive branch’s discretionary decisions.The high court’s decision is expected by June, at the height of the 2020 presidential campaign.